Patient-Public Involvement & Engagement Group Member
Closing date: 1 May 2020
We have a rare and exciting opportunity for a patient/public representative to join DATA-CAN, one of the country’s trailblazing Health Data Research Hubs, and make a real impact on how health data can be used to improve the lives of people affected by cancer.
We are looking for people who have had an experience of cancer (whether as a patient, a carer or relative), who want to help us in our mission to make cancer research faster and help provide cancer patients with faster access to approved clinical trials.
In the near future, one in two of us will get cancer at some point during our lifetime. Every year, almost 400,000 people are diagnosed with cancer in the UK and this will continue to rise. Help us make a difference by joining the new Patient and Public Involvement & Engagement (PPIE) Group at DATA-CAN.
DATA-CAN is a new three-year programme that aims to make it faster and easier for researchers to securely use health and cancer data from across the NHS and other organisations. This will enable more efficient research in developing better cancer care, it will gives patients faster access to clinical trials and it will create new investment in UK cancer healthcare. The core role of the PPIE is to ensure that patient’s rights and interests, as well as their data, are kept protected.
We are looking for people with different levels of experience and so no experience of research or previous involvement in public involvement or data is necessary. However, what is essential is that you have the enthusiasm and the confidence to comment, advise, and make recommendations (as a group) to the Programme Management Board reflecting the general views and concerns of patients and the public.
All reasonable travel and subsistence expenses that occur as part of your role as a DATA-CAN PPIE Group member will be covered.
If this sounds like something you might be interested in, please contact Emily Boldison by email on firstname.lastname@example.org who will give you information on how to apply.
Your Skills & Experiences:
To apply to be a member of the DATA-CAN PPIE Group it is advantageous if you:
- Have experience of cancer either as a patient, carer or relative
- Have an interest in and a willingness to learn about the new uses of cancer data and data safeguards
- Have the confidence to make contributions, comment, advise, and make recommendations, as a group, to the Programme Management Board
- Have the ability to listen and be respectful of differing opinions.
The role of the PPIE Group:
The role of DATA-CAN PPIE Group member will require that you:
- Attend and take an active part in four PPIE group meetings per year
- Prepare for any meeting by reading the necessary paperwork and documentation
- Share your opinion and give advice
- Provide a patient/public/ perspective on strategic issues
- Help drive DATA-CAN’s strategy and data access decisions
- Respect the viewpoint of others in the group.
How to apply:
Request application details from email@example.com
- Send your application by 1 May 2020
- We will contact you with the shortlisting outcome
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to join us on an assessment Skype call
- The successful applicants will be invited to attend the first PPIE group meeting.